Ten-hour delays and nine-mile tailbacks were reported at the Port of Dover as officers searched every vehicle for the suspect – one of six subject to a strict terrorism measure
A terror suspect reportedly cut off his ankle tag and fled police sparking a countrywide manhunt with all ports blocked, causing a nine-mile traffic jam.
Ten-hour delays were seen at Dover as officers searched every vehicle for the fugitive – one of only six subjected to a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measure, it has been reported.
Police officers were initially implemented at around 7am on Tuesday with enhanced security checks at the Port, with video emerging showing armed units storming the docks.
A spokesperson for Counter Terrorism Policing said: “We can confirm that a request was made on 15 September by Counter Terrorism Policing nationally for enhanced security checks to be carried out at UK ports.
“This was in relation to ongoing operational activity and this requirement has since been stood down.
“We would like to reassure the public that there is no threat to public safety in relation to this activity and thank all those affected for their co-operation and understanding.”
The police operation has seen all vehicles and passengers since Tuesday checked in Kent and on all short strait routes.
Activating Operation Stack meant lorries could line up to enter the port as queues started to build.
Kent Police said in a statement released on Thursday all junctions of the M20 previously closed due to the operation have now been opened.
It added: “There may still be residual delays in the area while the road network returns to normal.”
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avisTéléchargez notre application Android