World News – AU – EU says escalating conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh ‘unacceptable’

0
17

YEREVAN / BAKU (Reuters) – The European Union has declared an escalation of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict « unacceptable » and called for a new peace talks as Armenia and the ‘Azerbaijan once again exchanged accusations of bombing in and around the mountain enclave on Thursday

The Nagorno-Karabakh Human Rights Ombudsman’s Office said more than a dozen shells fell on Stepanakert, the enclave’s largest town, a day after a maternity was hit Two civilians were injured

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said in a statement that Armenia fired at its military units and civilian settlements along the front line, and the Azeri settlements of Terter and Gornaboy north of Haut-Haut Karabakh had been bombed

The worst fighting in the South Caucasus in almost 30 years has raised fears of a wider war that could harm Russia and Turkey, Azerbaijan’s ally It also poses a threat to pipelines carrying oil and gas from Azerbaijan to world markets

Three ceasefires failed and civilians were killed on either side of the conflict on Wednesday

« The European Union finds it unacceptable that after three agreements negotiated by Russia, France and the United States on a ceasefire, the fighting in and around Nagorno-Karabakh continues, » said European Commission spokesperson for foreign affairs and security policy Peter Stano in a press release Wednesday evening

The EU executive urged the parties to return without delay to « substantive negotiations » on a peaceful settlement, as last agreed in Washington on the 25th

The OSCE Minsk Group, formed to arbitrate the conflict and led by France, Russia and the United States, was due to meet with Azeri and Armenian foreign ministers in Geneva on Thursday It was not immediately clear whether this meeting would take place

The Defense Ministry of the Nagorno-Karabakh region said on Thursday it had suffered 51 other casualties, bringing its military toll to 1,119 since the fighting began in September 27

Azerbaijan has not revealed its military losses Russia estimates 5,000 dead on both sides

Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but it is populated and controlled by ethnic Armenians. About 30,000 people were killed in a 1991-1994 war in the region

Reporting by Nvard Hovhannisyan and Nailia Bagirova, additional reporting by Margarita Antidze in Tbilisi; Written by Robin Paxton; Editing by Tomasz Janowski

All quotes have been delayed by at least 15 minutes See here for a full list of exchanges and delays

Azerbaijan, Armenia, Republic of Artsakh, Nagorno-Karabakh

Global news – AU – EU says escalation of conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh « unacceptable  »



SOURCE: https://www.w24news.com/news/world-news-au-eu-says-escalating-conflict-in-nagorno-karabakh-unacceptable/?remotepost=482049

QU’EN PENSEZ-VOUS?

Abonnez-vous à notre chaîne Youtube en cliquant ici: EBENE MEDIA TV

Vidéo du jour:

Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!

[gs-fb-comments]

Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis

[maxbutton id= »1″]