World News – United States – South Australia got 100% of its electricity from solar for 1 hour

0
14

Posted on October 28, 2020 |
by Zachary Shahan

In the past, it was common knowledge in the energy sector that solar energy could not contribute more than 5% of the share of electricity supply.For a long time it was claimed that this was an upper limit that utilities could handle Mon, how things have changed!

South Australia is one of the best examples The Australian state gets over 20% of its electricity from rooftop solar power alone, and almost 70% from all types of wind power and solar combined

South Australia also took an interesting milestone earlier this month For an hour on October 11, South Australia got 100% of its electricity from solar energy This would be of the largest jurisdiction in the world to do so

« It really is a phenomenon in the global energy landscape, » said Audrey Zibelman, Managing Director of the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO)

« Never before has a jurisdiction the size of South Australia been run entirely by solar power »

A whopping 77% of that electricity came from rooftop solar panels The remaining 23% came from large-scale solar projects

Even reaching this milestone, AEMO predicts another 36,000 rooftop solar power systems will be installed in South Australia over the next 14 months

Naturally, solar energy did not supply exactly 100% of the electricity demand during this hour of October 11 The excess electricity from these solar power sources went into batteries or was sent to Victoria, a neighboring state, via a transmission connector

Naturally, there is a great way for South Australians to absorb this huge amount of solar energy: buy an electric car and charge it while the sun is shining.

South Australia has been a fascinating region of the world for renewables and energy storage for years. Here are some more stories about the Australian state:

Have a tip for CleanTechnica, want to advertise or suggest a guest for our CleanTech Talk podcast? Contact us here

Tags: australia, australia clean energy, australia renewable energy, australia solar energy, Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), south australia, south australia clean energy, south australia renewable, south australia solar roof , south australia solar powered

Zachary Shahan tries to help the company help itself one word at a time He spends most of his time here on CleanTechnica as a Director, Editor and CEO Zach is recognized worldwide as an expert in electric vehicles , in solar energy and energy storage He has presented presentations on clean technologies at conferences in India, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, United States, Canada and Curacao

Zach has long term investments in NIO [NIO], Tesla [TSLA], and Xpeng [XPEV] But he does not (explicitly or implicitly) offer investment advice of any kind

Want to publish a press release on CleanTechnica? Click on Contact at the top of the page

CleanTechnica is the # 1 US & cleantech-focused news analytics website & in the world, primarily focusing on electric cars, solar power, wind power, energy storage &

News is posted on CleanTechnicacom, while reports are posted on Future-TrendsCleanTechnicacom / Reports / and buying guides are here

The content produced by this site is for entertainment purposes only.The opinions and comments posted on this site cannot be sanctioned by and do not necessarily represent the opinions of CleanTechnica, its owners, sponsors, affiliates or subsidiaries

Solar, photovoltaic, energy

World news – United States – South Australia got 100% of its electricity from solar for 1 hour


SOURCE: https://www.w24news.com

QU’EN PENSEZ-VOUS?

Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!

[gs-fb-comments]

[comment-form]

Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis

[maxbutton id= »1″]